Monday, April 21, 2014

You Are Not That Busy: Hard Truths for a Cold World

Anybody who has tried to set up a time to hang out with a group of friends larger than 3 can attest that it seems like people are pretty busy now a days. It becomes this constant back and forth about overanalyzing times to meet up in between their high priority yoga sessions and witty tweeting. This social phenomenon has inspired a down pour of opinion pieces either talking about how it’s rude or people are missing out on life getting caught chasing perfection. And sadly, it seems that my twentysomethings are the biggest culprits. Yawn!

The problem is that we are not calling out the elephant in the room that we all know is there. The truth is, none of us are that busy and people who claim it the most generally don’t have much going on. Yeah, I said it! If you are in your twenties and are not taking care of kids or the primary bread winner in a house full of dependents, you ain’t  got shit to do so important that better time management could not fix. Yoga classes and other things of that nature are just not responsibilities. You know it, I know it so why are we playing this game?

The answer to that it’s not that we all want to feel busy; it’s that we all want to feel important and like we are not missing out. In my opinion, it seems like there is a lot of pressure to be perfect. You have to have the right apartment, the right job and the right partner. What makes it even more high pressure is that those around have to think so, too. Even if you are pretty satisfied with your life, it seems like you have to have validation through friends or social media for it to count. So, people flood you feed with photographic evidence of their worth and place in the world for you to legitimate. Of course, someone with some many people who love them and who makes so much impact would be busy, right? Not when you spend more time documenting your life than living.

Sadly, happiness and self-worth can never be something determined by how busy and unavailable you make yourself.  I much rather make time to watch stupid things on the internet, staying connected to my friends and going out than always putting up the excuse that I am busy. Ironically, I have noticed that the more satisfied with my life that I am and the less time I legitimately have, the less I am on social media and less attention I get from it. So, even though no one’s knows it, I say my life is fuller now than ever before because I want it to be and acknowledge the beauty that is there. So my advice is to stop making the excuse that you are busy, because you are not. Buy a day planner and move on.

So, have you all notice this? How do you manage your schedule?


XOXO Lady Justice 




2 comments:

  1. I hear you girl. Interesting post.

    http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truth. There's something about our super networked, self-branding oriented modern lives that equates busyness with worth. The more you hustle, the more cultural capital you appear to have. And I am SO guilty of it! Taking my chill pill now :)

    ReplyDelete

It will make our day to hear from you all!