Sunday, February 9, 2014

Progress I Have Made on My Resolutions

I would like to thank Lady Justice for her last post.  It was very thoughtful and insightful.  I found myself nodding along to many points.

However, it has been a month since the new year started, and I would like to share the progress that I have made on my resolutions (I personally think that they are pretty awesome.)  Keep in my mind that most of these were made with the intent of proving to myself that I can finish something I start.


1.      Stop eating cake for breakfast: Fail/ Total Fail 
a.     Yes.  This was a serious resolution.  I found myself eating actual cake or food items with a cake-like consistency on a regular basis with my cup of tea in the morning.  I was feeling downright British, and it was starting to scare me.  (No offense to the Brits, but you need to vary your food selections a bit.)

b.     I broke this one the first day when my best friend from junior high and I made red velvet pancakes for breakfast.  They were awesome.  Next time we will discover how to make syrup from frosting. 

c.      Since then I have continued to break this resolution with much joy.  I don't eat cake for breakfast as frequently as I did last year though.

2.      Be on time for work: Partial Fail
a.      I come on time for the late people, when the early people have already gotten most of their work done.

b.     There are days when I'm a little closer to meeting up with the early people.  That's normally because they stopped for coffee.

c.      I'm the anti-morning-person waking up on time is the issue.  Beds are so much nicer than the rest of my house.  Putting on clothes is irritating, especially in the winter and setting NPR as my wake up station means I get lots of information with little effort.

3.      Clean my room more often: Partial Success
 a.    Partial because I do vacuum and wash dishes with more frequency, but there are still days I can't see patches of my floor.

b.      However, I'm working on putting a systems in place so that my floor can clean its own mess.

4.      Smile at least 20 times a day: Unknown
 a.    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the trouble." -- Someone wise and awesome 

b.      I have not actually counted, but I have noticed an increased frequency in the amount of people who give me strange looks on the train.  I think that means it's working.

5.      Spend more time with my family: Awkward
 a.    You would think that it would be easy to spend time with my immediate family since I live with them, but it isn't.  Between work and graduate school I am out of the house 12+ hours a day, and then I just want to cozy up in bed with Netflix.  So in total I spend about 10 minutes with family a day.  In other words, I'm that relative who comes to Holiday dinner to eat all the food, and then leaves before you even realize the chicken's gone.

b.    Total amount of time spent with family is now 15 minutes a day (on average). This number also depends on who I consider family on a daily basis.

So that is the total stock of what I have been up to this year so far.  As you can see, they are all a work in progress - like the Lady of Weirdness herself.  Things for self improvement should always be taken in stride with full knowledge that in some particularly tricky spots your legs aren't long enough to carry you ahead as fast as you would like.  If those things are important to you, like Lady Justice said, remember why they were important, and keep trying even if you don't get it the first time.

Hopefully, I can wrack up some more successes as the year wears on.  If not, I'm looking forward to drinking my woes away and trying again next year.

From the Weirderness,

Evana Weirde

1 comment:

  1. I am an early late person, as well!! You gotta start somewhere right? I love this piece. I laughed the entire time. I can just see you freaking people out on the subway!

    ReplyDelete

It will make our day to hear from you all!