Thursday, February 13, 2014

It’s About More Than Conversation Hearts and Pink Vibrators: How to Love with Dignity This Valentine’s Day

I have a confession to make.  I’m kinda neutral about Valentine’s Day this year.  I feel like for the past two weeks my feed has been showing nothing but pictures of twee girls giving date ideas and love advice or people ranting about reasons they want to snatch the wig off of Valentine’s Day.  Don’t get me wrong, I see both sides.  It is a sexist, heteronormative, bullshit ass excuse to make money off of insecurity (ok, I feel this opinion more strongly).  But on the other hand, I can see the principle of a day to celebrate love if it is done well.  But why the stress?

Now that I have opted out of the crazy, one thing that I have noticed is that everyone is wound tight about this.  When I was at my angstiest (ah, adolescence) I thought this time of year sucks only for single people, but, now that I have experienced both scenarios, I can confidently say that there is pain to be experienced by all.  For those who are super nostalgic and snort glitter, there is this air of anticipation of receiving the right gesture of love.  It can’t just be a pile of artisan bacon that you share together, but something you can post somewhere to show the world that you are loved.  And for those who are single, it can feel like you are on trial when you have to explain to folks why you are spending your day with a friend rather than trying to find a last minute date.  Either way, both groups end up blaming each other for their own stress, and I’m left drowning in a sea of pink taffeta and broken conversation hearts.

But enough is enough!  Love should not and cannot be confined to one day.  If you can only scrape up enough love for your partner to spoil them one day out of the year, maybe it’s time to move on. And for Christ sake, being single tomorrow won’t kill you.  It will be same as it was yesterday. Dating is way better in the summer any ways.  At the end of the day, all the stress is about loving someone else’s opinion more than you love your own.  It is not even really about your loved ones. And isn’t that what the day is about any ways?  So tomorrow, instead of buying into the Pink Crusade spend it showing love in the way you want.  Volunteer at the place you keep meaning to donate to. Call your family.  Take that friend shopping that has always been there holding back your hair as you vomit.  Hell, take your damn self shopping.  Whatever you decide, love is for you this year.  Plus, real talk, only the couples I know who are together because they cannot do any better are the only ones acting like tomorrow is the second coming.  Think about it, you will see the same thing.

How will you love tomorrow?  Me, imma be shaking my ass with Big Freedia, The Queen Diva.



XOXO Lady Justice


No comments:

Post a Comment

It will make our day to hear from you all!